Tuesday, March 16, 2010

dying and metalic taste

Question
I hope you can provide insight. Over the last month or so, once or twice a week, while asleep, I feel like I have died. (hard to explain what makes me know this is what occurred, but it is what I think has happened), then a metallic taste develops in my mouth and that is what wakes me up. What is different, is each time this happens, there is more delay before I get the metallic taste in my mouth to wake me up. The whole thing is weird, surreal, and scary. (I am a 44 year old married female). Thank you in advance.


Answer
While I have no answer for why the metallic tape. its possible what you are trying to explain might be hypnangogic hallucinations,   nORMALLY our brains and bodies have to awaken the same time and go to sleep the same time, however once in awhile for we dont know why one or the other lags behind a second or two, and so one is dreaming with their eyes open, dreams become very vivid, and sometimes even after the person awakens they still feel for instance the monster is still in the room after 30 minutes upon awakening its natural phenomenon.   If this is what you are experiencing.   Go to sleepnet.com click on disorders narcolepsy and read about hypnangogic hallucinations just for an explanation of that symptom which if happens all the time and disrupts daytime wakefulness could be narcolepsy, but its the best site to explain the symptom.   You should stay away from the following 3 hours before bedtime as this makes for restless sleep, tea coffee caffeine, caramel colored soda like coke, pepsi, ginger ale, chocolate and exercise.  Perhaps this will make you sleep more soundly if you avoid them,also 30 minutes before bedtime take a hot bath and l5 minutes before bedtime drink a glass of warm milk, milk when heated contains tryptophan a natural amino acid sleep inducer.  Other than that Im no md i cant explain the metallic taste. feel free to email again karel  also on sleepnet are forums which you can search and participate to see if any others have your symptoms.