Tuesday, March 16, 2010

not sure what is wrong

Question
I have "episodes" off and on in the mornings, that begin with either pain in my legs or my abdominal area.  It feels like a wave of muscle spasms.  They start at the bottom and move to the top.  When they reach my chest and throat, it makes me feel like I can not breathe, then my facial muscles will tighten.  Afterward, I have a strange feeling almost like some sort of a chemical has been shot through my body.  These "episodes" seem to follow a pattern of my ovulation and menstruation.  I have been told it is one of two things, or two things combines.  Either panic attack symptoms or fibromyalgia acting up.  It is always in the morning and usually it happens when I wake up from dreaming.  Any ideas, I wonder if fluctuating hormones could be a part of it.


Answer
It could be a number of things you must find out which ones they are.  First of all if you have fibromyalgia, you should ask your doctor treating you for it if it involves the facial twitching.  This is the first thing you must do.   Im not a doctor and dont know the answers to fibromyalgia questions but no a little about the disease.   Next it very well could be hormonal especially if you are young or in your late 40s nearing menopause.  For this you need to see your gynecologist and have him do blood tests on your hormone levels.  Thirdly and last if it is panic attacks which I doubt because facial twitches is not one of them. For this you should see your md for possibly something to relax, but this is lastly, never jump to the panic thing until everything physically is looked into. Doctors always jump to the panic attack issue, No if all checks out lastly if the twitching persist it could be a form of seizures which one would need a brain wave for .  But for now start with the fibromyalgia check out.  There is a fibromyalgia.org organization which also has good information but definitely dont wait for it to just subside, get it checked out, keep me posted and happy new year.Karel