Tuesday, March 16, 2010

mulitple sleep latency test

Question
QUESTION: Hi, I have been feeling extremely groggy and tired all day every day for over a year. I just went to a sleep center and had a psg which was normal,then came back for a psg and  multiple sleep latency test. I slept only 5 hours at night, and I think I fell asleep only once on the mslt. They ended it a few hours early because I was not sleeping enough. Can the mslt still be useful in diagnosing anything if you did not fall asleep every time or very quickly?



ANSWER: Yes you dont have to sleep it also goes by how you rated how droggy you were.  Go to sleepnet.com click on disorder narcolepsy and read about it also sleep forums. feel free to email again karel



---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------



QUESTION: Thank you so much for the quick reply. Does that mean the mslt is not useful, and they will diagnose me based on how tired I said I was? Or can the mslt still show anything if I didn't fall asleep?


Answer
Well they go by if you fell asleep but they measure how deep the stage that you did go into on the mslt., but if they are a good md, they go by the questins you answered before and after the nap, they weight everything, however some doctors mainly go by the test. but those test are very hard to fall asleep.  I had my first one in 1978 which then there was just the brain wave and no mslt and it showed i fell asleep in under 5 minutes that was then the protocol for diagnosing narcolepsy.  after that i had l5 mslt thru the years and never fell asleep on one, yet im still on meds and am diagnosed as having narcolepsy as from my symptoms which is cataplexy as well which usually if you are narcoleptic and have had cataplexy, diagnosis can be made with that but now ruling is you need a test yet the md should put you on something if you are that sleepy, go to sleepnet.com click on disorders narcolepsy, then in the search ba put in polysomnigram and mslt or under narcolepsy it should explain it, also it takes up to 4 weeks to get the results as all that data must be measured and hand scored so much for modern technocology, also go to narcolepsy network.org and lets talk about sleep which have live talk shows one can chat with on certain days, happy new year and feel free to email again karel